Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sunday, Sunday

I went to Sapphire this afternoon after a leisurely morning at home. While I was there, I was admiring the turtle doves and ducks, and a pelican even dived into the water right before me – all very exciting. What made me rush to grab my camera, though, was a rather vocal sea gull harassing another one as they walked along the shore. A few of us were wondering at the racket until the two hopped up on a rock and one mounted the other and started flapping its wings and screeching. I don’t think I’ve ever seen sea gulls having relations, so I can add that to the list. I wasn’t quick enough with the camera. But I was able to spy a little animal in the sand that I have never seen before on St. Thomas.

Afterwards I drove out to Peterborg, which is the peninsula that defines Magens Bay. I didn’t really get into driving out there until college. It’s very different from the rest of the island, very rocky and windswept. The road isn’t the best. I love the way the light shimmers on the water at this hour, right before the sun starts getting ready to set. This is looking across to Hull Bay and the Northside. Inner Brass is the island on the right.

This is looking to the end of the peninsula, which is called Picara Point on the maps, but I seem to be the only one who knows that (that happens to me a lot). The islands you see are Inner and Outer Brass, which one could see from the house I grew up in. That’s why the neighborhood is called Brass View. There is arguments as to whether they are called Brass because of the reddish color of the rocks on the islands, or whether it is a corruption of the French word ‘bras’, meaning arm. On a map they kind of look like arms. I’ve always wanted to set foot on them, but nobody really heads that away. Some day. Oh, and perched atop one of the rocks is, I believe, a turtle dove. See if you can find it.

This gives you an idea of how steep the cliff around Peterborg are. There didn’t used to be much out here, but there are lots of fancy homes now. I wouldn’t want to be out here during a hurricane, as much as I dig the cactus and rocks. Oh, and I’ve usually seen tons of pelicans on that very rock, but not today.

To give you an idea of what I mean by rocky, look below. And the roads out to Peterborg are narrower. This one’s at least paved, but they’re not all so. This area is where the Clintons stayed when they visited. There are some villas out here. My favorite one is Casa Jo Mama. Guess why.

Work picks up tomorrow – it’s going to be a busy week and change before I fly back to Boston. I’m curious to see what it brings.

No comments: