Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Where I rest

My parents bought the condo at Mahogany Run back in 2001, right before my grandfather died. Before that, I had basically lived in the same house my whole life. I remember when they told me they were selling the house I grew up in, I was heartbroken. But you know, it wasn’t as big a deal as I thought it would be. I’ve only been back to visit it once, right after they’d sold it. As soon as I walked in I realized, “This isn’t my house.” Without my parents’ stuff in it, it wasn’t the same. Granted, the view was still gorgeous. I was happy to see another set of children was going to have a chance to grow up in such a great spot. And they were cute kids.

Mahogany Run has become my headquarters on St. Thomas. I rather like it. It is very modern, but very homey. Even though we are in an apartment, you really have a sense of privacy. What’s funny is that three of my friends lived right in the same area when I was in high school. My best friend Kurt lived up the hill from where my parents live now.

I spent some time down by the pool again today. Is there really a more relaxing sound that palm fronds rustling in the wind?

No comments: