Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Always for Trevor

Today when I woke up, I noticed that the ceiling fan was off. "That's funny," I thought, "I swear I left it on when I went to sleep last night." It was another night of rain and torrent, but it was also deliciously cool and breezy in between, enough that I needed a (thin) blanket.

Oh, but I did leave the fan on - we just didn't have electricity. Well, this is nothing new. Thing is, I had to go down early this morning to plug in some Unix codes. So this is how we bathe without electricity.

Yes, that's a gallon of water.

Here is Tessa playing with my shoes. She's always been drawn to them. I guess she likes the scent of pye mayas, as we say in Creole. After I reclaimed my shoes and just as I was heading out the door the power came back on. Oh well.

When I got to the office, none of the Brunts were there. It turns out that Tina had her baby this morning. So I drove to the hospital to visit. I've never seen a newborn at the hospital before, so it was very exciting. I went in with Shane and we put on our gowns and washed our hands and I got to touch little Alessandro's baby feet. Please forgive the lack of photos - it rather slipped my mind.

Afterwards I had lunch with Tom & Kris and Tommy & Shane in Frenchtown. Before I jetted to the office, I took advantage to drop by Oceana (where I had dinner on Friday night, and where my parents had their wedding reception). This is one of the views from the restaurant, looking back to town. That's Hassel Island on the right. See the ruins? I forget what it used to be.

Here is the view looking the other way as you go in. That's Water Island in the distance.

And here is the place itself. It's a pity they don't open during the day.

And this was all before 1:00. The rest of my day has been taken up with work.

As this is a long post already, I shall lengthen it just a bit more by closing with a poem by Valdemar Hill, Sr., a local poet.
ALWAYS FOR YOU

When the genips are drenched in blossoms of white
And the air is laden with their haunting fragrance,
I think of you.

When mahoganies undress and cast their leaves
In golden, mosaic patterns on the white roads,
I ache for you.

When the tropic trades drift out to sea
Bringing salt-tinged thoughts of coral beach,
I sigh for you.

When the rain comes roaring down in sheets,
And huge tamarinds groan and tumble in the storm,
I rave for you.

When the sky is black, expansive ebony,
And little stars twinkle oh, so far away!
I wish for you.

When the full moon hoves above the mountain tops
Shedding a silvery glow of peace on the sleeping town
I long for you.

When my soul cries out in my dreams both day and night,
Darling, it's you, always for you.

No comments: