Thursday, April 26, 2007

Western Detour

Today I decided to drive a bit west on the way home. For most people, the airport is about as far west as they ever go, unless they go by the university, which is basically right across from the airport. I drove up to the little lookout area where my author photo was taken. Here is the airport:

And here is the West End. I wasn't really that far west, but I didn't feel like driving all the way into the bush. I do hear, though, that there is going to be a lot of development out there. I have mixed feelings about that. While it is the greenest part of the island and has some of the last unspoiled beaches, I've never been to any of them because there aren't any public roads.

While I was taking pictures of the scenery, I realized the tree above me was full of confusion. It was full of bananaquits and hummingbirds. I tried to catch them with my camera, but they are too swift.
But here you can see I was able to catch a hummingbird. I guess they have to rest sometimes. It was nice to see that people have put hummingbird feeders in the trees.

I did stop by Magens Bay before I went home to walk a bit and catch some last rays. I wish I had brought my camera out because I saw a mongoose. I haven't seen a mongoose in ages. People were worried that they had died out in the last drought - thank goodness they haven't. You know, I wouldn't have been quick enough to catch a mongoose with my camera. They don't stick around long when they see people.

1 comment:

TBM said...

Love the Hummingbird. I'm sad too about the west end development, it was there with you that I got a sense of what the Virgin Island may have looked in its virgin state.